The Employment Resource Centre is open to everyone in the community,
we encourage all looking for work to visit. It is designed to be
self-service, however, assistance is available for those who need
it. We provide access to Career and Employment Related resources
in a variety of formats.
of Operation are:
9:00am - 7:00pm
9:00am - 4:30pm
9:00am - 4:30pm
9:00am - 4:30pm
9:00am - 3:00pm
10:00am - 3:00pm
The ERC has 26 computers available; 15 for Internet and word-processing;
11 in the tutorial room for workshops and self-directed CD's.
Please note that computers are for employment related use only,
this also applies to email. No floppy disks are permitted in the
computers, please see staff to transfer your files.
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Clear Speech
- Mavis Beacon
- The Art of Customer
All Computers are equipped
with: Microsoft Office 97 and Internet Explorer
The ERC has many resources to assist you with your job search, listed
below are just a few examples of what is available for use in the
- Resume and cover letter writing, interview skills
- University, college and private school course calendars and
- Occupational Trends, job futures
- Self-employment, Top companies
- And much more...
- Starting your own business
- Interview Skills
- Managing Job Stress
- Fax: Local Faxing only (free)
- Photocopying: 5 cents per copy
- Newspapers: Globe and Mail, Toronto Star, Scarborough Mirror,
Employment Weekly, Canada Employment Weekly
Resource Centre Workshops:
Basic Introduction to Microsoft Word
If you have limited computer experience, this workshop is for you.
This 2-hour introduction to computers and Microsoft Word, is made
to help you learn the basics of using this word-processing program.
You will learn how to open, save, and close files, how use formatting
on your documents, and other basic functions.
Internet for Job Search
This 2-hour introductory Internet workshop is designed to teach
you how to use the Internet to look for jobs, search job banks,
find company information, read news and more online.
Note: For those who have never used a computer, we recommend
you attend the Basic Introduction to Microsoft Word workshop first
Attend this workshop to learn how to use email to send and receive
mail, and how to attach files. In the hour and a half, you will
sign up for your own free web-based email account and learn how
to use the different features available. We strongly recommend prior
internet experience before taking this class.
Guidelines for the ERC:
- The ERC is designated for employment-related use only
- Please be considerate of other job seekers and keep noise
to a minimum level
- The ERC is not an appropriate setting for children, however,
if you must bring your children please keep them under control
to avoid accidents, etc. Please do not leave children unattended.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late for your tutorial, your
spot will be given to someone waiting
- Please do not leave valuables unattended
is willing to provide assistance but does not assume responsibility
- We are pleased to offer you a folder to save your work on
the H: drive with a maximum of 7MB
- To reduce risk of viruses and damage, floppy disks are not
permitted (Please see staff to transfer files)
- Chat programs are not considered job search, therefore they
are not permitted (MSN, Yahoo, AOL, Other…)
- To keep computers in working condition food and beverages
are not permitted while using the computers
you for your cooperation.
- Lost files or documents
- Documents left in the photocopier
- Damage to documents or files due to improper usage of equipment